Everyone has busy lives these days, what with work, children, family, friends and looking after a home, not forgetting about walking the dog. There are never enough hours in the day, however a simple night time beauty regime has many benefits for the skin, hair and teeth. We all want to look our best and have a healthy, glowing vibrant look. Getting your skin prepped and looking and feeling its best will help when applying makeup the following morning. Not only is makeup easier and quicker to apply on smooth hydrated skin it should stay put all day, meaning you don’t have to reapply throughout the day.
My simple night time routine for my face is cleanse, tone and moisturise and if you start with these three basic steps then adding a masque or exfoliant on a weekly basis will not take too much longer.
The right routine starts with knowing your skin type and using the correct products for your skin type.
- Dry Skin is usually flaky, scaly or rough. It often feels uncomfortable. Use a gentle cleanser that is alcohol free and exfoliate once a week. Usually a cream cleanser feels best on this skin type.
- Normal Skin is clear, balanced and not sensitive. You will have more choice with this skin type as to what product to use but if in doubt a gel or cream cleanser is a good option.
- Oily Skin is greasy, shiny and may have more visible pores. Use an oil-free foaming cleanser.
- Combination Skin is oily on the T-Zone (forehead, nose and chin) and dry on cheeks. This can be a difficult skin type to treat but usually a gel cleanser will address all issues for this skin type.
- Sensitive Skin is hyper-reactive to any stimulus, either creams, sun, UV light or weather conditions such as dry or cold environment. Avoid products with alcohol, soap, acid or fragrances. Use products with calming ingredients like aloe, chamomile, green tea and oats.
* Do remember to protect your skin as much as possible from sun, wind, snow, air conditioning and central heating.
It is good practise to double cleanse the skin. Using a clean soft cloth helps get rid of dirt and grime after a day of being exposed to pollution. For a deep cleanse remove make-up using a pre-cleanse oil or balm, the oil breaks down the make-up and melts away impurities from the skin allowing it to be easily wiped away with cotton pads or rinsed with water. Then second cleanse. Smooth away the day by adding an exfoliant to help with detoxifying the pores, however if your skin is dry once a week is sufficient. There are lots of moisturisers out there making the choice extremely difficult. Environ have made this very simple with the Step-Up system for all skin types. Vita-Antioxidant AVST Moisturiser 1 is the first Vitamin A moisturiser in the range. It contains a low concentration of Vitamin A. Created to help skin become more comfortable with increased levels of vitamins and antioxidants. We recommend after the second bottle of level 1 and when the skin is ready, to move up to the next level. Environ’s motto is start low and go slow with the Environ Vitamin Set-up System. ( A consultation is always recommended prior to using any products containing Vitamin A). Once a week if you have time, add a face mask to your routine. Environ Revival Masque can be used as a 10 – 20 mins mask or left overnight for a more advanced treatment. This mask is nick named ‘facelift in a jar’ and leaves the skin feeling smoother and younger looking with a healthy radiance.
After caring for your face its nice to soak in a bath with essential oils, your favourite candle and some soothing relaxing music in the background to unwind after a hectic day and prepare yourself for bedtime.
There are some amazing mediations available for free and are a great way to calm the mind and prepare for sleep.
Your bedtime routine doesn’t have to take more than 10 minutes, apparently if you do something consistently for 3 weeks it becomes routine, so lets get started 🙂