Thread veins, broken veins, broken capillaries, spider veins or as they are medically known as telangiectasia is a very common condition and are not harmful in any way. Thread veins can make you self conscious and cause constant worry about your appearance and covering up with make-up is an endless battle.
These are tiny twisted red blood vessels that run close to the surface of the skin making them visible. The most common areas of the body to experience thread veins is on the face and legs.
While both men and women can be affected by thread veins they are far more prevalent in women. By their 40s nearly half of all women will be affected, and they become increasingly more common as we age. Genetics play a major role which means if anyone in your family has Thread Veins chances are you will also get them.
Prevention is better than cure,therefore the first place to start is to recognise the trigger points that exacerbate the condition.
- Avoid or minimise alcohol intake as this increases blood pressure which in turn enlarges the blood vessels and eventually lead to Thread Veins.
- Smoking damages the circulatory system causing the narrowing of blood vessels that constrict forcing the heart rate up and increasing your blood pressure
- Certain Processed foods are full of sodium nitrites some of which are bad for you.
- Harsh weather can have an adverse effect on the skin. Protection against over exposure to sun, sun-beds, wind, snow, any of the extreme hot to cold temperatures will affect the skin. Bear in mind to wear sunscreen or barrier cream if outside.
What options are available to remove or minimise thread veins?
Laser treatment with a 90% clearance rate is the number 1 option. Most facial veins are small and fine and are easily treated. The thicker veins can be more difficult to treat. However after consultation the laser therapist will be able to advise a realistic end result including a time frame and costings. We recommend 3 to 4 treatments at intervals of every 4 weeks. Treatment time for the face is usually 10 to 20 minutes per session at a cost of £60 up to £125 per each treatment.
The first appointment will be a consultation and patch test, a treatment plan will be discussed with the therapist and procedures explained. Any questions you may have will be answered.
Our best selling products for clients suffering with thread veins:
- Dermalogica Barrier Repair is a creamy moisturiser to help fortify sensitised skin with a damaged barrier. This unique anhydrous (waterless) moisturiser helps shield against environmental and internal triggers that cause skin stress. Our exclusive UltraCalming Complex contains oat and botanical actives that work below the surface to interrupt inflammatory triggers that lead to sensitisation, whilst helping to minimise discomfort, burning and itching. Restores a healthy barrier function with Oil of Evening Primrose, Borage Seed Oil and silicones as vitamins C and E help combat free radicals that can lead to inflamed and irritated skin.
- Environ Colostrum Gel is a serum which contains a high concentration of bovine colostrums that is enriched with vitamins and antioxidants including green tea, vitamins C & E. The benefits of this product include the immune boosting serum that helps to protect the skin from external and internal stressors. Giving an improved appearance of skin that feels soft, soothed and protected. To optimise efficiency, you can use Colostrum Gel in conjunction with Environ’s Electro-Sonic DF Mobile Skin care device to assist with delivering more essential nutrients to the skin.
- RAD SPF sunscreen is a must to prevent any further development of Thread Veins. Followed by Jane Iredale mineral makeup which contains zinc oxide a natural SPF. The products are free of perfume, chemical additives, alcohol and artificial dyes.
Whatever your concern about Thread Veins are please know that Beauty Haven have a wealth of knowledge on this condition, please don’t hesitate to contact us directly.