Did you know a man’s skin is about 25% thicker on both the face and the body than a women’s skin? In addition to this the texture of a man’s skin is tougher, oilier, ages differently and is usually firmer because it has a higher collagen density and elastin levels are greater. Because collagen content is directly related to the signs of skin ageing, it is reported that a woman’s skin is approximately 15 years older than a man’s of the same age. Having said that, it would seem that women are better at protecting their skin from the sun and using a sunscreen to prevent UV damage. There are differences between male and female skin….
- The hormone testosterone determines the masculine characteristics of male skin and gives it a different structure to female skin. The ability to grow a beard is just one of the obvious distinctions.
- Sebum (oil) and its production also differ. After puberty, sebum production is greater in males than females, which is attributed to androgen secretions and accounts for why men have longer lasting acne.
- Ingrown hairs is a problem that occurs to both male and female who use most forms of hair removal. When hair is plucked, shaved or waxed the hair can grow back on itself and get trapped under the skin or worst still can re-enter the same follicle. The body recognises the ingrown hair as a foreign body and this results in a pimple that can fill with pus.Exfoliating the skin on a regular basis to remove dead skin cells covering the regrowth of the new hair will prevent ingrown hairs. Exfoliants including micro-fine Silica will help remove dulling skin cells, and prepare the skin. Chemical exfoliants including Lactic Acid and Salicylic Acid will help remove dead skin cells, lift ingrown hairs above the skin line, and soften and smooth skin.
Maintaining a daily deep cleansing regime is important for male and female but ever more important for males as the skin is prone to more breakouts as the skin is more oily. Incorporating AHA’s and BHA’s (Alpha and Beta Hydroxyls Acids) into your homecare routine will help avoid ingrown hair’s caused by shaving.
Apart from these differences in male and female skin, the same skin care products can be used for both sexes. Double cleansing, toning and moisturising morning and evening with a masque once a week is a good basic start to take care of your skin.
Have a look at some of our best selling products for both male and female skin:
- Dermalogica Pre-cleanse oil removes all traces of make-up and build up of dirt, grime and pollutants.
- Environ Sebuwash is a gentle deep cleanser that mildly exfoliates to decongest the skin to alleviate congestion.
- Toners – you either love them or hate them. They aren’t necessary anymore as long as you have correctly cleansed the skin, we recommend double cleansing to ensure your skin is squeaky clean. Environ low foam cleansing gel is a gentle facial wash and is a firm customer favourite as it can be left in the shower and leaves the skin squeaky clean and won’t dehydrate it like some other washes can.
- Environ AVST Moisturiser levels 1-5. These Vitamin A moisturisers have a number of benefits, they normalise sebum secretions, lock in moisture, protect against photo ageing and minimise sensitivity. They are sold as a step up regime and you are required to have a consultation before you can purchase
- Environ Revival Masque has been nick-named ‘facelift in a jar’ It lifts and firms to tighten and brighten the skin, promoting the synthesis of growth factors that are important in the regenerative process of the skin.
Understanding your skin is key, we often get to know our triggers, have you eaten foods high in sugar, perhaps you haven’t been good about your water intake for a few days or let your skincare regime slip? So if you develop a few spots, or the skin feels dehydrated or looks a bit dull have a think about what has changed over the last few days. Quite often simple changes can make all the difference to your complexion.
We offer a Face Mapping consultation if you would like further advice on how to manage your skin.