Most of us try to follow a healthy diet and lifestyle, that ‘s hard to sustain long term, so it’s best to allow yourself to slip! Be honest and no need to feel guilty. The 80/20 rule could work (the 20% is for indulgence!!)
If it is hard to keep on track, here are a few things worth remembering.
- Plan indulgences ahead, if you know you have a very sociable weekend ahead, be good during the week.
- Choose your chocolate. A processed chocolate bar contains a lot of sugar, fats and artificial flavourings! All contributing to health problems long term. However, chocolate with a high percentage of cocoa powder ( 70%) is full of antioxidants, flavonoids, nitrates, vitamins and minerals.
- Choose your wine. In excess alcohol is dangerous and can cause liver and pancreatic damage. However, wines especially reds contain antioxidants which help improve bone density and reduce heart disease. Pinot Noir and Cabernet Sauvignon have the highest concentration of antioxidants. More than one glass a day can lead to health risks.
- A glass of grapefruit juice in the morning can cut your bad cholesterol down.
- Adding low fat yoghurt (unsweetened) to your diet can lower your risk of high blood pressure. ( but keep your calorie intake the same)
- Drinking coffee in moderation (2 cups a day) can lower your risk of heart failure.
- Get out into the sunshine more often. Low levels of vitamin D put you at a higher risk of having a heart attack. However, it’s important to remember , too much sun can damage the skin, causing it to age more quickly or lead to skin cancer.
- Red meat in excess has been linked to certain types of cancer and diabetes. Lean red meat is a good source of protein, minerals and vitamins. Intake should be limited to small portions a few times a week.
All best laid plans can fall to the wayside, and you won’t always keep the healthy habits up! But be aware of them ,you can have plenty of new beginnings so you can just keep starting all over again.
Need to lose some inches? to kick start the new you,( as well as your new healthy lifestyle)visit Beauty Haven and try a Harley Body Wrap. Added to the ‘drop a dress size’ advantage, this is also good for skin conditions such exzema, and helps improves the appearance of cellulite.