Life is motion….keep moving.
As humans, we are designed to move. We’ve become a sedentary generation, having adapted this way because we sit at desks, in vehicles, in front of a televisions or at computer screens. Our children play with xbox, playstation and ipads!. We have become too lazy to walk into town! in a car park we tend to look for the closest space available! TV or Tennis? Walk or drive? Game on the Ipad or out for football? Etc etc. Even the weather can be an excuse, it’s too hot, it’s too cold!
If you let muscles and joints stop moving, over time the body loses the ability to move and specifically, if you are not using a certain muscle because you are in a sustained sitting posture all day, your body will shut that muscle down. This can lead to neck pain, back pain, headaches, and repetitive strain injuries.
Some tips to add movement into your everyday life:
- 30 minutes of physical activity most days of the week will be enough…..and that doesn’t have to be done all at once.
- Doing 3 ,10 minute bursts of activity a day will make a BIG difference in your health and your weight.
- Walk up or down the stairs instead of taking the lift.
- Park at the back of the car park at Tesco’s!
- While working at your computer/desk, get up every 30 minutes and and move for 2 minutes .
- Move while you are on the phone.
- Sit on an exercise ball while in front of the TV, it will keep your core musculature active and is much better than sitting still on a chair
- Get a pedometer and measure how many steps you take in a day. You should aim for 10 000 per day .
We all need to make a conscious effort to spend more time on our feet moving as we were designed.
Look for opportunities where you can be active. This ‘movement’, should it be walking, cycling, tennis, whatever you enjoy, will become a habit, an addiction that will not only improve your health physically but also mentally, life will feel better, weight will be lost, body toned, you’ll be looking good. Being outside, appreciating the countryside or doing some gardening, walking on the beach will also have a therapeutic benefit. So, what are you waiting for? GET MOVING!
Move our way! Beauty Haven can add colour to your toes with a luxury pedicure, in preparation for your summer walks, wax your legs so you can go swimming or maybe a hot stone massage, just as a reward for ‘being active ‘.