Our hands and nails are one of the most visible parts of our bodies. We use them in most of our everyday activities and constantly abuse them, we forget that actually they are one of our ultimate accessories….so we should take more notice and give them more attention. With the summer season upon on and holidays to look forward to, salons see a massive increase in Manicure and Pedicure treatments, not to mention the application of gel overlays.
Gel overlays are very popular at the moment, they are thin as paper but as strong as steel and will also up to 3 weeks, fantastic to last through your entire holiday. You may hear people say that gel nails have ruined their nails, this is a myth,the gel itself cannot cause any damage to the nail plate, it is often how clients choose to remove the UV polish that causes the damage. Our best advice when opting for a UV polish is to make an appointment to have them removed in 2-3 weeks, that way you won’t be tempted to pick them off.
There are a variety of different colours to choose from or if you prefer the natural look you can have just a clear gel applied or a lovely French Polish. Gel is much more hard wearing than nail polish and is easily maintained, gel protects the nails and allows more brittle and weak nails to grow. The gels will need soaked off with a special solvent as they grow from the root or they can be ‘infilled’ to give you an extra few weeks of colour.
Nail Facts And Tips.
- Nails grow roughly 1mm each week.
- The rate at which your nails grow can be slowed down by illness,or sped up by stress.
- For stronger nails, eat foods rich in calcium,iron and zinc.
- White marks on nails are due to knocks, not calcium deficiency.
- Strong soaps,detergents and lotions dry nails out causing them to split. Wear rubber gloves.
- Brittle nails can be a sign of an inadequate water intake
- Nail biting is called onychophagia. It’s also a common nervous habit.Roughly half of children between 10 and 18 bite their nails, according to WebMD, but most people stop on their own by age 30. While nail biting is mostly harmless (albeit unsanitary), possible health risks include contributing to skin infections and aggravating nail bed conditions.
- Stress can take a toll on your nails.
- In addition to stress-related picking and biting, chronic stress can inhibit nail growth diverting the body’s energy and nutrients away from growing healthy nails and hair.
- Nails are a window to the entire body. A a well-trained dermatologist can tell a huge amount about your overall health just by examining nails. From nail bed discolouration, to capillaries in the cuticles, to yellow, white, or banded nails, sometimes very serious or even life-threatening disease can be diagnosed just by examining the tips of your fingers, if you see something wrong or unusual see a dermatologist for help.
- Mens nails grow faster than woman’s ( except during pregnancy)
- Nails Grow Faster in Warmer Climates but why does this happen? The sun helps your body create the vitamin D your nails need to grow quickly.
- My favourite fact – Nails Grow Faster on Your Dominant Hand. For example if you’re right-handed, you may have noticed that you have to trim the nails on your right hand more often, the theory behind this is that nails that are used more often and exposed to the elements grow faster.
Hopefully you have enjoyed some of our ‘nail facts’ . Book your nail treatment early to avoid missing out during the manic summer salon season.