If you have sunspots, scarring or pigmentation that you don’t enjoy seeing there are several highly effective treatments and products available to improve if not completely remove them.
Sunspots are caused by repeated over exposure to the sun, they are often referred to as liver spots and most commonly appear on the face and hands. Whilst sunspots are not harmful, you should seek advice if you are concerned. Sun exposure is also responsible for premature ageing, fine lines and wrinkles.
Pigmentation problems are linked to poor melanin functioning ( melanin is responsible for giving your skin its colour). Hyperpigmentation can make spots on the skin appear darker. Hyperpigmentation is often confused with a common pigmentation disorder called melasma, for some people this is caused by hormonal changes such as pregnancy and will often disappear over time, for others melasma can last for years and would require treatment by a dermatologist.
- Intense Pulsed Light Therapy (IPL) Otherwise known as a photo rejuvenation IPL uses laser technology to target pigmented cells. When cells containing a lot of melanin or haemoglobin are treated, the target heats up and is destroyed within a few thousandths of a second. In addition to removing pigmentation this treatment increases collagen production for a more youthful complexion. Typically, we recommend three treatments at four weekly intervals, a suitable treatment plan would be discussed with you at your initial consultation. Photo rejuvenation is also very effective in the improvement of acne scarring.
- Chemical Peels are used to improve the skins appearance, minimise pore size, improve acne scarring, fine lines, sunspots, and rough skin, they are designed to exfoliate your skin and encourage it to renew itself by creating fresh new skin cells. The depth of the peel will depend on the objective and condition of the skin. Mesoestetic chemical peels typically used include glycolic acid, mandelic acid salicylic acid, lactic acid or combined liquid peels. The different types of chemicals cause a controlled injury, each penetrating through to a different skin depth, then peeling away to reveal a new layer of skin.
- If you haven’t tried a microdermabrasion treatment before, it is worth thinking about. The treatment involves tiny crystals projected onto the skin to remove the outer layer of your skin. The vacuum action of the machine then pulls and raises a small section of skin to work on, it creates mild swelling and brings some of the impurities to the surface, it then collects the used crystals and dead skin for disposal. It is basically an exfoliation and skin rejuvenation treatment that leaves the skin looking brighter and feeling smoother.
It’s no secret that protection from the suns radiation is a must in skincare, so if you are holding off on the sunscreen because summer is often a slow starter in the UK, I’m going to avoid a lengthy lecture and encourage you instead, to apply an SPF daily all year round. Skin-ageing UV rays don’t care how hot it is. If you’re not spending extended periods outdoors, SPF moisturisers applied properly will adequately protect our skin.
Some of our favourites include:
- Environ Rad SPF 15. A mineral sunscreen containing zinc and titanium dioxide to protect against free radicals, its creamy texture is easily applied and suitable for use under make up.
- Environ Mela Fade Cream, a technology advanced Vitamin C cream used to improve the appearance of uneven skin tone
- Dermalogica Solar Défense Booster SPF 50. This SPF really sinks in and feels lightweight, is great under makeup I have quite dry skin but this, on top of the Dermalogica Intensive Moisture Balance, makes my skin look and feel luminous, dewy, and well hydrated.
- Mesoestetic Anti-ageing body tan mist SPF 30. This is a NEW and amazing product. I absolutely love this. Mesoestetic Mesoprotech Antiaging Body Sun Mist SPF 30 contains the optimal combination of physical, biological and chemical filters provide maximum effectiveness and protection. This innovative spray mist is invisible and has a fresh texture that’s immediately absorbed for fast and effective sun protection. Added Vitamin E provides an antioxidant and protective action. This Sun Mist SPF 30 can be applied to wet or sweaty skin without leaving behind a greasy residue. Mesoestetic’s Collagen pro-47 formula protects and increases the presence of high-quality collagen in the skin for smoother and firmer skin.
For advice on any of the treatments and products discussed in our blog please don’t hesitate to get in touch.