Excess hair growth is an age-old problem for both men and woman. We are living in an era where having smooth, hairless bodies is almost expected of us. We shave, pluck, wax. use depilatory creams only to have to do it all again in a few days/weeks. Hormonal fluctuations amongst other things can of course be a huge factor in hair growth and can cause self esteem problems for many of us.
Did you know …..
Hair grows about a half an inch per month and would you believe grows faster in the summer. The cycle of growth is split into three different stages; growing (Anagen), resting (Telogen) and shedding (Catagen). Due to hair not being on the same stage at any given time, can affect the outcome of any hair removal treatments you may be having. So for example you may get your legs waxed every 6 weeks and on some occasions the hair is at Anagen stage and you may therefore need to book in at 5 weeks.
When it comes to hair removal everyone is unique and what method may suit someone will not necessarily suit another.
- Waxing is a quick and relatively cheap form of hair removal and probably the most popular, giving 4/6 weeks before regrowth.
- Laser hair removal has become increasingly popular over the last decade. The idea of permanent hair reduction is very appealing and if you are the right hair and skin colour for the treatment then this method of hair removal could be for you. We use the Ellipse sirius which is clinically proven, safe and effective. The Ellipse is the only system with the longest clinical studies, the company is also responsible for the manufacture and development of the Gamma camera used for cancer diagnostic treatment. After a treatment, hair remains in the skin, but will fall out between 1 to 3 weeks. A course of 6 sessions is recommended.
- Electrolysis is a permanent hair removal system that passes an electric current down an individual sealed and sterilised sterex disposable needle into the hair follicle to destroy the hair root. This treatment is very popular but its important to have the correct expectations as this method of permanent hair removal can be slow and time consuming. The end result though is worth it.
- Threading has become a popular treatment and originates from Asia. Kinder to skin and is organic due to not using any creams or wax on the skin, especially if you are sensitive to products or you are on certain medications. The best treatment areas are on the face and threading will remove short rows of hairs to define and reshape eyebrows. It can be slightly painful, but if done properly this will be minimal. The absolute plus side to threading is you can apply make-up after treatment, unlike many other forms of hair removal were you have to wait at least 24 hours before application.
- Vaniqua is the only cream that slows hair growth. In clinical trials, Vaniqa, an FDA-approved prescription cream, slowed the growth of facial hair in 60 percent of women when applied twice every day. The downside is that it can cause irritation and only works whilst you are using it so the hair will regrow in most cases when you stop using it.
Whichever form of hair removal technique you prefer or wish to try a new treatment, the therapists at Beauty Haven would be delighted to chat with you and go through the options with you and answer any questions or concerns you may have.