Dry skin is caused by low levels of oil and dehydrated skin means there is not enough water inside the body. Meaning you could have dry skin and be well hydrated or have both dry and dehydrated skin.
Everyone wants to have glowing, smooth, plump and wrinkle free skin. How do we achieve that? Lets begin from the inside. The body is 70% water and 70% of the earth is made up of water. If we have that much water in our system it makes sense to top up every day.
And its not just the skin that needs to be kept hydrated but the whole body. We use 35 litres of water to breath, and this is while we are resting. Inside our body we need water and outside of our body we require creams, lotions and conditioners. We love these glorious hot sunny days but more important than ever to drink plenty of liquids as the volume of water lost in sweat is highly variable, ranging from 100 to 800 ml per day. Protecting our skin and hair from the harsh rays of the sun is therefore parmount.
The percentage of water in the body varies according to age and gender. Babies hold the most at around 75%, with adults averaging at 70%. When you feel thirsty you have already lost 2-3% of the body’s water. Mental and physical performance is impaired at just 1% dehydration.
Functions of water in the body.
- Water is the primary building block of cells and carries oxygen and nutrients to cells.
- Required to metabolise proteins and carbohydrates used as food.
- Lubricates joints
- Insulates the brain, spinal cord, organs and fetus.
- Flushes toxins and waste out of the body via urine and perspiration.
Our Top tips to cope with dry/dehydrated skin
- Our nails can dry out and lose oil, resulting in dry cuticles. try using a cuticle oil before going to bed to allow the oil to work magic overnight. Hair can also become dry and brittle, especially in the hot sun, protection is the best option, wear a sun hat and if swimming in the pool use a hair protect serum.
- Drink plenty of water: The best way for your skin to remain hydrated is to drink one to two litres of water each day. Carry a small bottle for the car and a larger one for work. Start the work from inside first. Our muscles, brain and kidneys will work better.
- Avoid hot water: When washing hands, showering and bathing hot water tends to strip the skin of natural oils, leaving the skin dry and cracked. Use luke warm water particularly on the face.
- Eat foods that assist with hydration, foods containing vitamins C & E will lock in the moisture. Salmon, mackerel, Avocado and most fruits and vegs. Almonds and walnuts are great for snacking on and are high in Omega fatty acids.
- Protect your skin from the sun. Always wear an SPF everyday, even when there is cloud and remember to reapply if you are out all day. Try to avoid the hottest times of the day between 12pm and 3pm, stay in the shade if possible.
- Spoil yourself: Treat yourself to a facial. Environ HydraBoost Treatment is the perfect antidote for dry, lack lustre skin, this intensive treatment deeply hydrates while plumping and firming the skin. Based on Hyaluronic Acid, which holds 1000 times its own weight in water, it helps to reduce fine lines caused by dehydration and increase the plumpness of the dermis, resulting in moisturised, glowing skin.
- Treat skin with the correct products.We stock a range of Dermalogica products suitable for varying degrees of dryness, from cleansers, moisturisers and boosters to special masques. We offer treatments such as the Multi vitamin facial and the very popular Mesoestetic lactic acid peel. Also, body treatments such as the prescriptive body treatment can work miracles, exfoliating the dead skin cells and really conditioning the skin.
Whichever your type of skin condition, we are only a phone call away and are always happy to discuss your concerns and help you with choosing the correct products for your skin.